The Historic Preservation Society of Gettysburg-Adams County (HGAC) restored the G.A.R. Hall at 53 East Middle Street in Gettysburg about 40 years ago. The Hall was originally built as a Methodist Church in 1822 and was used as a hospital during the Battle of Gettysburg. After the Civil War, the Grand Army of the Republic purchased the building and used it as their meeting hall. Today it serves as a meeting place for a number of Civil War-related organizations and is also available for rental for special events. Tours of the building are available upon request.
HGAC is committed to preserving all things historic in Gettysburg and Adams County. To that end, the society offers the following:
- Underground Railroad Tours weekly at McAllister’s Mill, adjacent to the National Military Park on Baltimore Pike. Tours leave from the south end of the Mulligan MacDuffer’s Adventure Golf parking lot every Saturday at 11:00 AM from May through August. A blue Pennsylvania Historic Marker marks the spot. The site, now a ruin with foundations and waterways still intact, was most probably the first site in Adams County that people seeking freedom found on their flight north from slavery. Suggested donations for the tour are $5 for students and $10 for adults.
- Semi-annual traditional homemade G.A.R. Bean Soup and Pork Sandwich sale, held at GAR Hall the third Saturday of May and September.
- Speaker Program on varied historic topics, the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30pm at the GAR Hall. Free to the public.
- Annual BarnArt Exhibit: paintings and photographs by students and adults referencing Adams County historic barns.
For more information, please consult the HGAC website at www.hgaconline.org.
Contact Curt at email@example.com
- Student Travel
- Handicap Accessible
- Group Tour Contact : Curt Musselman