Confederates Take Shriver House: Civilians Caught in the Crossfire!
Time: 5 - 9 p.m.
Price: $15/adults; $12/children 7-12
Shriver House Museum – The Civilian Experience
309 Baltimore Street
Confederates Take the Shriver House: Civilians Caught in the Crossfire!
During the battle, Confederate sharpshooters took over the Shrivers’ home to set up a sharpshooters’ nest in the attic to fire on Union troops. Learn first-hand what occurred during those three days of horror that terrified the citizens of Gettysburg and how the Shrivers’ home was used during and after the fighting.
- Hettie Shriver took her two girls, Sadie (7) and Mollie (5), and their 15-year-old neighbor, Tillie Pierce, to seek safety outside town only to find themselves deep within the battle lines – at the base of Little Round Top.
- Listen to Hettie Shriver and her neighbors discuss the threat of invasion.
- Stand just feet from Confederate sharpshooters as they fire their muskets at the Union adversaries.
- See beautifully furnished rooms of the house which were left in ruins by the invading forces.
- Learn how wounded soldiers struggled to survive in a make-shift hospital.
- Enjoy a refreshing root beer in Shriver’s Saloon at the end of the tour.
- Witness history where it actually happened on July 1, 2 & 3, 1863.
- Book online at shriverhouse.org