Located in the picturesque Catoctin Mountains less than 25 miles southwest of Gettysburg is Cunningham Falls State Park. The park is divided into two areas – The William Houck Area just west of Thurmont on Route 77 and The Manor Area off Route 15. The beautiful freshwater lakes and waterfalls are found in The William Houck Area while The Manor Area features an aviary and the historic Catoctin Iron Furnace. Both areas have campsites available from April through October.
Other leisure opportunities include:
- Hiking trails ranging from short and flat to steep and rocky
- Horseback riding in select areas
- Swimming in designated areas of Hunting Creek Lake
- Boating (electric motors only)
- Hunting on 4,400 acres of wildlands in accordance with statewide hunting regulations
- Interpretive programs
Note: Don’t rely on cell service at the park, service is spotty and unreliable.